Monday, August 3, 2009

A great old classic chair











A friend wrote yesterday, expressing satisfaction that the latest Pottery Barn catalog refers to vintage style classics that stand the test of time. Alot of what we sell at The PORCH & Atelier fits that title very well~ style, classics, and quality.
I acquired this chair a week ago, at a South Minneapolis estate sale. It was in the attic, very dusty, and her springs were poking the floor. But I could see her potential - she showed hardly any wear, and had quite a nice attitude. Look at that seat cushion (was it turned over all those years so as not to get worn or faded? - it's perfect)~~
Here she is now, in the shop, all ready to show herself off. She's had her springs re-tied (sometimes called a 'butt lift'), four buttons replaced, and she's clean. She's everything I hoped she could be, and more! Besides some fading of her beautiful cocoa brown mohair, she's in excellent shape. If you're around my age, you remember Grandma or a great aunt having this style of furniture.
I love it that we acquire awesome pieces, get them all tuned up and on the shop floor fairly quickly, and that someone will fall in love with them and take them home. The flip side is that some pieces move through here so quickly that YOU don't get a chance to see and experience them. She's here ($169).

2 comments:

pk said...

I love the funky shape of this chair and the detail...

Laurie said...

I love that chair and the cushion is gorgeous. Since I live 2 1/2 hours from your lovely shop, I am really enjoying your blog and all the inspiration you share. Thank you so much!!

Like